Thursday, September 21, 2006

oldies but goodies

while recovering from a recent illness(hahaha), i was seating on the sofa near the phone listening to the radio. it was tuned in at 100.30 FM or the oldies but goodies station. they only play songs from the 60's up to the early 80's. it just happened also that an old close friend (ninong to one of my kids )was on board. i was surprised because he is now the station's VP for operations and a lawyer by profession. so i told myself he didn't have to do this but i thought he is really first a deejay at heart.

so i grabbed the phone and called just to say hi. he answered the phone and was surprised as well to hear from me. after a couple of minutes, he invited me to drop by the station and do some guesting (oh ha?). i usually did when i was still single. the scenario is they will ask you what you like about their station, what songs would you want to hear and why, where were you when the song they are playing was a hit, that kind of thing. he told me that i still have a pleasant speaking voice. it has a nice ring to it on the phone and on the airwaves. i was flattered by my friends gesture and promised to drop by next week.

it is so pleasant to listen to songs that you grew with and reminisce on memories good or otherwise. i have a lot of favorites when i was still in college. i was into rock/ballad/MOR/pop and what have you. i like performances by a group or duo or a solo artist based on their rendition and vocal range not because they were popular that time. top of my list was the tower of power, badfinger, three dog night, simon and garfunkel, tavares, doobie brothers, the bread, the beatles, spiral starecase, carole king, james taylor, the fifth dimension, friends of distinction, spinners, barry mannilow, the three degrees and sergio mendes. you should see my record collection. they are of my generation and i always listen to them periodically when the mood arises.

what makes me happy also is that i rubbed off to my kids some of the artistry of these old music. they like to listen with me. sometimes when they hear songs that are not in my collection, they ask me of the title and the artist. thanks to the new technology i can download hard to find songs now of my favorite oldies but goodies artists. well, come to think of it i am an oldie - but a goodie? definitely yes and yummy at that. ask my husband. bwahahahaha.

No comments: