Sunday, April 23, 2006

tracing my roots

i was in kabacan, north cotabato for the weekend, to attend the wake of a dead relative. it is so ironic that if a family member dies, it is most often than not, the wake is made into a reunion. well, that is part of our custom and tradition i think. i was with my mom and dad because i have this need to go because i wanted to see relatives that i havent seen for quite some time.
how time really flies, because i saw cousins who are younger than me. i can remember that i took care of them when they were still toddlers. my only misgiving is that a couple of them has been married and seperated from their spouses. sad also that even though that we have a decade separating us they look older than me. maybe because of the problems they have. but who doesnt have one? that is what life is. it is a matter of perspective on how you see the situation. still i was so happy to see them. i didnt know i missed them so much.
what really made the weekend memorable was when we were served an array of all the kakanins of my childhood days. we had patupat, tupig, buchi, baduya and every color of biko you can think of. i have an ilocano ancestry and im vey proud of it. i have inherited their frugality and being industrious. then i surprised the people who were there because i still can speak the dialect though rusty and when i sang a lullaby ive learned from my grandma they were but happy and amazed.
i remember a long time ago every year, we always go to kabacan and spend the whole
summer there with all the cousins from davao. i still can recall my grandma ringing the bell everytime a meal is ready. having a nap after lunch was a prerequisite and that was the time lola sings her lullaby. god i miss her. though i was very young i miss the way she smells when she gives me a hug. her ample bosom was so soft and she always gives me a peck on the cheek without any reason at all. i was a favorite because i will sing and dance without any prodding.
then all of a sudden, an auntie saw me and uttered you really look like your grandma. it gave me the chills because i never thought that i will get her looks. and i also learned that she had an asthma as well. talk about genetics.
the whole night my cousins and i promise to get in touch because we were given an assignment by the elders to make a family tree. trace our roots 6 generations up. i know it would be a feat for us but we never turn our backs on a challenge. this has to be done in time for our reunion on april 2007 were my moms family is the host.
i know we can do this and it would be a learning experience to trace one's roots.

No comments: